Wagin is 180kms east of Bunbury. Wagin was made a parish in 1911. The town was founded by the WA Land Grant Railway Company during the building of the railway from Perth to Albany, and declared a town site on 16 May 1898. The name Wagin comes from the Aboriginal Waitch meaning either the place of emus or the place where emus come to drink. The parish was originally part of Katanning.
Sheep and wheat farming is the main occupation of the people and the town is famous for a huge ram at the entrance to the town and for the Wagin Woolorama held every year to advertise and advance the use of woolen fabric.
The church is dedicated to St. Joseph and stands next to the Presbytery in Arnott St, Wagin.
At present both Wagin and Dumbleyung are served by the Parish Priest in Narrogin. The church in Dumbleyung is dedicated to St. John the Baptist.
The design of the banner represents the predominantly wheat and sheep enterprises of the parish.
The background cross expresses the religious significance of the parish in the community. The plain orange and green of the background signify the sun and fertile land respectively.
The patch was designed and made by Mrs Sue Piesse, who is a member of St. George’s Anglican Church in Wagin.