1800s-1900

  • February 18, 1893
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 93

    Bishop Gibney laid foundation stone of the new church in Katanning

  • 1890
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 90

    Parish Established

    Katanning made a parish and Fr James Duff PP

  • 1889
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 89

    Parish Established

    St Brigid’s Church, Collie is established as a parish

  • 1887
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 87

    Convent Opens

    Bunbury Congregation of Sisters of Mercy established as separate from Victoria Square. Double story brick Convict erected in Wittenoom Street and dedicated to St Patrick, Apostle of Ireland.

  • August 1883
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 83

    Church Dedicated

    Bishop Gibney dedicates Katanning Church

  • 1888
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 88

    Parish Established

    St Joseph’s Church, Busselton, constituted as a parish, Fr Adolphus Lecaille first PP

  • 1884
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 84

    Parish Established

    Kojonup established as a parish, reverted to Katanning from 1894

  • 1883
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 83

    Sisters of Mercy from Victoria Square, Perth, establish themselves in Bunbury

  • June 27, 1881
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 81

    Convent and Boarding House for students opens in Albany

  • 1880
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 80

    Parish Established

    St Patrick’s Church, Katanning constituted a parish

  • 1878
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 78

    School Opens

    First School opened in Albany by Sisters of St Joseph of the Apparition.

  • January 16, 1878

    Church Consecrated

    St Joseph’s Church, Albany is consecrated by Bishop Griver

  • 1866
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 66

    Work began on a church in Busselton under Fr Patrick McCabe

  • 1862
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 62

    St Patrick’s Church Bunbury declared as a parish, centred on Church in Wittenoom Street

  • 1861
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 61

    albany Parish Established

    Stella Maris Church Albany, opened and Albany made a parish

  • September 1859
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 59

    Busselton town lots 155, 156 set aside for the Roman Catholic Church

  • May 1857
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 57

    Fr Venancio Garrido OSB appointed resident priest in Bunbury

  • September 15, 1857
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 57

    First school at Dardanup staffed by a schoolmaster

  • December 1855
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 55

    Father Peter Aragon OSB arrived in Dardanup as resident Priest for South West and Vasse Districts

  • March 1854
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 54

    Laying of foundation stone by Bishop Salvado for the first WA church completed outside Perth

  • April 1852
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 52

    Thomas Little gave Bishop Serra OSB 50 acres to build a church and monastery

  • 1850-1868
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 50

    Convict era in WA contributed to the growth of the south west of WA as public building and roads were constructed by convict labour based at camps at Bunbury, Kojonup, Albany

  • 1848
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 48

    Visits by Bishop Brady and Benedictines to the Vasse district [Busselton]

  • 1846
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 46

    Arrival of French missionaries of the Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary at Santa Maria Mission at Lake Mullalyup near Kendenup

  • 1841-1843
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 41

    Beginning but early collapse of the WA Land Settlement scheme centred on Australind intended to breed horses for the British army in India, first migrants arrived on the ship Parkfield where the Cathedral now stands is named after this ship

  • 1841

    Survey of the town-site for Port Leschenault, named after Lt Henry William Bunbury, an officer of the 21st Regiment of Fusiliers and an early explorer of the south west of WA

  • March 6, 1830
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 30

    Port Leschenault Established

    A military station set up at Port Leschenault in 1803 named after the botanist on French ship Geographe

  • June 2, 1829
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 29

    Swan River Colony Established

    Foundation of Swan River colony establishment of Perth

  • December 26, 1826
    fa fa-stack-1x "> 26

    The Amity arrives in Albany

    Landing of Captain James Lockyer from Amity with contingent of troops and convicts at Albany