What is Caritas Australia?
From humble beginnings in 1897 Germany, Caritas, named after a Latin word meaning love and compassion, grew to become one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies. The Catholic Agency for Aid and Development, Caritas began in Australia in 1964. And many people, then and now, feel that supporting Caritas is a great way to reach out to people in need.
Caritas means love and compassion
Together we can help the poorest of the poor live a life of dignity. We can help them become self-sufficient so they don’t need to rely on charity; we can help them go to school and learn better ways to farm using sustainable agriculture techniques; and we can help them support their family and community.
What does Caritas do?
Every day, Caritas Australia and our local partners are supporting people in need around the world. We are assisting them to break free from the cycle of poverty, regardless of their ethnicity, political beliefs, gender or religion. Our work includes:
- Responding to emergencies such as the food crisis in East Africa.
- Implementing Disaster Risk Reduction strategies, particularly in the Pacific Islands, where villagers are experiencing rising sea levels.
- Helping farmers with sustainable agricultural practices, such as the Farmer Field School in Nepal.
- Building water catchments in regions like Ethiopia, so communities have access to fresh, clean water and are able to grow crops.
- Providing access to education and workshops in regions of South-East Asia, so vulnerable people can learn new skills.
- Training rural midwives in quality antenatal, delivery and postnatal care for women in rural areas.
- Alleviating poverty in Indigenous Australia through projects such as the Tjanpi Desert Weavers which generate an income and provide sustainable development opportunities for women in rural communities.
We rely on people like you to care about your fellow human beings and the world around you. And we hope to make more people aware of the causes of injustice and poverty, and encourage them to take action too.
Diocesan Director for the Bunbury Diocese: Peter Williams
Contact: Caritas Australia – Bunbury
11 Money Street, Bunbury
PO Box 2005, Bunbury WA 6231
Phone: 9721 0500