1951-1960

  • November 22, 1960
    11

    Canonical Erection of the Parish of Esperance by Bishop Goody

  • October 1, 1960
    10

    Franciscan Friars take pastoral care of the Parish of Collie, until 2000

  • September 1960
    09

    Opening

    Opening of Star of the Sea Church, Esperance

  • 1960

    Est

    Parish of Boyup Brook established from Bridgetown parish, Fr W Costello PP

  • 1959
    01

    Boating tragedy in Mandurah Estuary when three Presentation Sisters – Patricia, Finbar and Joachim – and Irish priest, Fr Gerald O’Hara, drowned after a boating accident. This resulted in temporary closure, for two years, of the Mandurah school in the church.

  • Est

    Parish of Brunswick established from Harvey in care of Italian Capuchin Friars.

  • Parish of Brunswick established from Harvey in care of Italian Capuchin Friars.

  • March 1, 1958
    03

    Ordination

    Ordination of Fr Bernard Dwyer in St Patrick’s Cathedral, Bunbury the first ordination in the Diocese

  • 1958

    Ordination of Fr Bernard Dwyer in St Patrick’s Cathedral, Bunbury the first ordination in the Diocese

  • September 1, 1957
    09

    First Combined Funds Scheme introduced in Albany Parish, after a committee led by Fr Jim Petry, Jim Doyle, Brian O’Connell, Des O’Sullivan et al had canvassed the parish. Collection went from 27 pounds to 170 pounds.

  • RIP Monsignor Byrne

    Death of Monsignor Fred Byrne of Albany, first Vicar General of Bunbury.

  • July 28, 1957
    07

    Opening

    Opening of the Church of St Francis of Assisi at Walpole

  • July 7, 1957

    Opening

    Blessing and opening of the Presentation Convent, Boyup Brook

  • June 1957
    06

    Month of visitation and functions by Fr Gajkowski for Polish people at thirteen centres in the Diocese.

  • Week long visit of the National Secretary of the YCW to seven centres of the Diocese.

  • Popular Girls Competition introduced in Donnybrook Parish as the first fundraiser for a proposed new convent and school in Donnybrook.

  • May 9, 1957
    05

    Opening

    Opening of Tuckshop and Sports room provided by P&F at St Francis Xavier’s College, Bunbury

  • April 7, 1957
    04

    Opening

    Opening and blessing of the Church Mary, Help of Christians at Maradup

  • March 1957
    03

    Fr James Petry OBE arrived from Southwark Diocese in London to work in Albany

  • February 3, 1957
    02

    Opening

    Blessing and opening of new school at Boyup Brook

  • February 1957

    Beginning of monthly services in Polish (Evening: Sermon, Rosary and Confession) and morning Masses at Bunbury and Collie

  • Opening

    New Parish of Lake Grace established under Fr Michael Fitzgerald

  • January 1957
    01

    Increase of 20% for Pontifical Mission Societies’ appeals in 1956 announced by Fr B Baldwin MSC, Diocesan Director

  • Extra Masses 6.45am and 7.30pm in Albany to cater for the holiday crowds and holidaying religious

  • Christmas 1956
    12

    The Votive Candle stand made a reappearance at the crib scene in St Patrick’s Cathedral, after many years of absence because of candle restrictions during WWII

  • Advent 1956

    Pastoral Letter of Bishop Goody on the responsibility of parents as modelling the life of faith for their children throughout their prayers, actions and level of family life

  • December 2, 1956

    Opening

    Opening and Blessing of the new Convent school in Bridgetown.

  • Opening

    Blessing and opening of the Church at Northcliffe, followed by a Mission from Dec 2-9 and in Pemberton December 9-16

  • August 19, 1956
    08

    Mission and Festa of the Madonna Assunta at Brunswick

  • August 15, 1956

    Meeting to form a branch of the Catholic Men’s League in Bunbury

  • July 9, 1956
    07

    Announcement the Federal Government would meet interest payments on loans raised to provide secondary schools accommodation at 5% per year

  • June 17, 1956
    06

    Feast of St Anthony Procession. Mass and Festa in Waroona

  • May 13, 1956
    05

    Opening

    Blessing and opening of new Presbytery at Albany by Bishop JJ Rafferty of Perth

  • May 6, 1956

    Crowning of Our Lady ceremony held for the first time in Narrogin

  • April - October 1956
    04

    Bishop Goody on first ad limina visit to the Holy Father in Rome

  • April 20-30, 1956

    Visit and rallies of National Director of the Holy Name Sodality, Fr D M Fitzmaurice Op

  • March 18, 1956
    03

    Pastoral Letter of Bishop Goody explaining the changes in Eucharistic fasting from 3 hours to 1 hour and the possibility of evening Masses, encouraging both priests and people to take advantage of these new faculties

  • Holy Week 1956

    Encouragement by Bishop Goody for the full celebration for the Revised Rite of Holy Week

  • 1956

    Renovation and completion of St Patrick’s as the Cathedral and Mother Church of the Diocese

  • February 5, 1956
    02

    Opening

    Formal opening of St Pius Christian Brothers’ College, Albany by Bishop Goody.

  • January 1, 1956
    01

    Establishment of ‘The South Star’ as official organ of the Bunbury Diocese

  • December 31, 1955
    12

    First Mass at Needilup, for new settlers from the Jerramungup and Corrucarup areas

  • December 20, 1955

    Vicar General, Dean Byrne of Albany made a Monsignor by Pope Pius XII

  • December 18-20, 1955

    Ordination

    Celebrations to mark the Silver Jubilee of Ordination as a priest for Bishop Goody

  • December 11, 1955

    Italian Missions Italian Festa and Procession of the Madonna Immaculata in Harvey and the Madonna Assunta in Brunswick led by the Australian provincial at the Capuchins

  • December 4, 1955

    Opening

    Dedication of the Church of St Joseph, Manjimup; Fr J McCarthy, Parish Priest

  • October 30,1955
    10

    Opening

    Dedication and opening of the Church of Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament, Karridale

  • October 1955

    First visit by the Apostolic Delegate to the Diocese of Bunbury. Introduction of the Capuchin Franciscan Fathers at Harvey-Brunswick parish.

  • July 31, 1955
    07

    Opening

    Blessing and opening of the Church of St Thomas of Canterbury, Kukerin. Blessing and opening of the Church of Mary Queen, Lake Grace

  • June 5, 1955
    06

    Diocesan convention of the Holy Name Society formed a Diocesan Union to co-ordinate between parishes

  • April 17, 1955
    04

    Opening

    Dedication of Sacred Heart Church, Cowaramup

  • April 3, 1955

    Opening

    Opening of new parish school of St Mary South Bunbury. Dedication and renovation of school-church at St Mary’s South Bunbury

  • March 5, 1955
    03

    Papal Brief from Rome establishing Mary Help of Christians and St Patrick as first and second patrons of the Diocese of Bunbury

  • March 3, 1955

    Liturgical Reception at St Patrick’s Church Waroona to Bishop Goody. Civic reception by Drakesbrook Roads Board on occasion of first official visit to district and parish.

  • February 1955
    02

    Beginning of St Edmund’s Christian Brothers’ College, Collie. Brother Webster, Principal

  • Origins of Catholic schooling for 40 at Mandurah with two classrooms being converted from the parish church/school on Creery Street. Operated so until 1959

  • Initial intake of 74 students to St Pius X Christian Brothers’ College, Albany

  • November 12, 1954
    11

    Est

    Diocese of Bunbury established, with Launcelot John Goody appointed first Bishop

  • February 1954
    02

    Opening

    Opening of St Francis Xavier’s’ Marist Brothers’ College, Bunbury

  • 1953
    01

    Three brick classrooms erected at St Joseph’s Waroona

  • January 4, 1953

    Opening

    Blessing and opening of the Mandurah school/church by Bishop Goody and Sir Ross McLarty

  • December 25, 1952
    12

    Xmas Midnight Mass was the first Mass in Our Lady’s Assumption Church, Mandurah, built during the years as a school/church by Mr Stan Costello for 3800 pounds

  • 1952

    Motor Mission established with base in Nannup to visit ten surrounding schools

  • 1952

    Est

    Nannup established as a parish

  • March 16, 1952
    03

    Opening

    New presbytery opened on South West Highway, alongside church

  • November 1, 1951
    11

    L. J. Goody consecrated in St Mary’s Cathedral, Perth by Bishop Alfred Gumner of Geraldton as Titular Bishop of Abydod [North Africa, New Tobruk]

  • 1951

    Archbishop Prendiville applied to Rome for the appointment of an Auxiliary Bishop. Dr L. J. Goody received telegram while occupied in carrying bricks and mortar for new presbytery at Bedford Park

  • Est

    Kojonup Church reconstituted as a parish again

  • Est

    Pemberton constituted as a parish with Karridale